10 October 2006

rambo was a little girl...

Rambo was a pussy cat compared with me. He got chased around some northwestern town for vagrancy once. But I have now had TWO Rambo experiences in NEPA, and that makes me twice as cool as that old sly character.

Today was Rambo experience number two. We got pulled over by Barney Fife's gung-ho grand-nephew. The guy interrogated us, kept us by the side of the road forever. And I think he almost pulled his gun something like five times. It was really strange. In the end he told us to get lost. Later we found out that someone robbed Mr. Z's and ran off in the direction we were driving. It is probably a good thing he didn't look in the gun cases in the truck because we had enough firearms to supply a small revolution (all completely legal in NEPA, of course).

Nelson rolled into town today. Nelson was on the September WILD trip with us. He is a cool kid from central PA, a good solid unassuming guy, King of the Delaware River, half Mennonite carpenter and half forest creature, a Tim Bott disciple, and just an all around nice person. Well, Nelson came to NEPA today to visit the family, to eat chinese food and to kick around, but most importantly to shoot guns.

And shoot guns we did.

We meandered on down to the shootin' range. Nelson brought a Bushy AR-15 with a bipod, a heavy barrel and some sweet optics. We were putting rounds in a pretty tight pattern at 200 yards with that mofo. I brought along my M4 & SKS and we also threw some rounds at the pistol range with his Kimber .45's, a massive .44 Magnum revolver, and a sweet shooting Ruger .22 pistol. All in all, we was throwin' a bit of lead.

We dined at Ben's house, where we shot Nelson's longbow (see meditations on the bow...). Then we rounded Ben up and headed to the Longacre Plantation to meet Joey Love for a proper evening of redneck night shooting. Between unloading 20 rounds at a time from the SKS, two handing the .45's, rocking the laser sight on the Glock .40, and throwing two feet of flame from the front of the .44 Magnum it was glorious.

One of life's indescribable pleasures is the simple joy left in the belly after life's cares are melted away via a cathartic shooting session with the bros.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I like your style! You are definately one of a kind.
"Interestingly" ;) I also was a substitute teacher today. I taught 6 and 7th grades at our church school. It was the first time for me so I was a little freaked out, but I soon discovered I had nothing to be afraid of. The kids took good care of me and we had a great time.
ttyl

13 October, 2006 14:14  
Blogger joeybriglio said...

We definitely don't get those kind of days out here in So. CAL. I am jealous. All I get to shot are free-throws on the basketball court.

With all the guns and shooting expeditions out east... why are there more homicides by way of gun out here?

17 October, 2006 07:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home