21 May 2007

king and country...

Am cruising through Dwight D. Eisenhower's 'Crusade in Europe', his memoirs for the period of the Second World War. His descriptions of the various personalities involved are succinct, but gracious and insightful. I have especially appreciated the glimpses of George Patton and Winston Churchill. Especially growing to appreciate Churchill's tenacity of will and his skill at using his oration, logic, wit, and any other weapon at hand to get his way when he had his mind set on something.

On the eve of the Normandy invasion, apparently Eisenhower, acting as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces turned down a number of people's requests to observe the landing from the ships, including Churchill's request. Churchill was too important to the war effort to risk as a casualty.

He replied with complete accuracy, that while I was in sole command of the operation by virtue of authority delegated to me by both governments, such authority did not include administrative control over the British organization. He said, "Since this is true it is not part of your responsibility, my dear General, to determine the exact composition of any ship's company in His Majesty's Fleet. This being true," he rather slyly continued, "by shipping myself as a bona fide member of a ship's complement it would be beyond your authority to prevent my going."

But what is great about it is the counter:

I later heard that the King had learned of the Prime Minister's intention and, while not presuming to interfere with the decision reached by Mr. Churchill, he sent word that if the Prime Minister felt it necessary to go on the expedition he, the King, felt it to be equally his duty and privilege to participate at the head of his troops. This instantly placed a different light upon the matter and I heard no more of it.

Where are men like these at such a time as this?

5 Comments:

Blogger joeybriglio said...

At home watching it on the teli.

23 May, 2007 07:23  
Blogger yonderincarp said...

speak of the devil and he shall appear!

23 May, 2007 20:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Churchill was one of the last men in England (I know "men in England" is an oxymoron) with a pair of juevos. I liked Churchill, but Patton's my man. If Patton were alive today, Osama bin Laden would be in Guantanamo Bay being humiliated in various indecent poses.

When I think of the greatest people ever, I immediately think of Jesus, Patton, Leonardo da Vinci, Peter Tchaikovski, and of course, Vince Lombardi.

Wow. I went off on a serious tangent there.

Joey - That's why I don't own a t.v.

29 May, 2007 12:20  
Blogger yonderincarp said...

Zombie - Patton was pretty sweet, huh? It is interesting to compare his memoirs with what Eisenhower said about him.

Yup, if Patton were alive, we would definitely have old OBL in the clink. I think part of the trouble is that we don't really have proper soldiers' wars anymore. We ask the military to do the State Department's job. Ever since Korea we have been putting our military into wars that they are not allowed to win...

Tangents all around.

30 May, 2007 22:26  
Blogger joeybriglio said...

touche' zombie touche'.

I don't have television (cable) either... However I do own a TV.

31 May, 2007 12:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home